Who can apply


Persons living in a civil (including same-sex) marriage reunited with their spouse;

Underaged children

Children under 18 years of age reuniting with their parents or other close relatives; persons living in a civil (including same-sex) marriage;
Your spouse, registered partner or de facto spouse, and your children under the age of 18 are considered to be family members. If you are under the age of 18, your parents count as your immediate family.

Only in exceptional cases is it possible to obtain a residence permit for other family members, such as children over 18 years of age. This applies if you have been granted a temporary residence permit as a refugee or a person in need of subsidiary protection.
When you apply with the right to family reunification, you may be required to prove means of support. This means that you must be able to support yourself and your family. You must also have a standard home of a sufficient size that you can live in together when your family moves to Sweden.
The amount of income necessary in order for you to fulfil the maintenance requirement depends on how large your family is and how high your housing costs are. Your after-tax income must be sufficient to cover your actual housing costs and the normal amount required to support the persons who will be part of your household.
Place of living
You also have to have a home of a sufficient size and standard for you and your family. For two adults without children a home is big enough if it has a kitchen or kitchenette and at least one room. If children are going to live in the home, there must be more rooms. Two children can share a bedroom.
Other income
You may also fulfil the requirement if you have enough money/taxable assets to support yourself, other persons in your household and the family members who are applying for a residence permit for at least two years.
Important: a separate application is required for each child.
At the beginning of the page, it is recommended to contact our specialist in the messenger by phone. Just click the button "order a consultation". Our experts will advise you and answer all your questions.